Supply Management professional, leader and teacher with a successful track record as a cost saver and problem solver in the pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, life science, satellite television broadcasting and snack food industries. Recognized for being innovative, a collaborative change agent, customer focused and results oriented. Areas of expertise include: Strategic Sourcing, Negotiating Skills, Risk Management, Supplier Diversity, New Product Start-ups, and Supplier Development.
Independent Supply Management Consultant. Founder of a supply management consulting company and serves as the main consultant
- Contracted to serve as a Supply Chain Management Consultant for “The Enterprise Center” which operates the Minority Business Development Agency (US Department of Commerce)
- Creates/presents workshops: Sales/Procurement Partnerships, Negotiations and Business Risks
- Subject matter expert speaker for a variety of local professional management group meetings
CSL Behring, King of Prussia, PA, 2010 to 2011.Independent Supply Management Consultant
- Supply Management expert and project manager hired to lead multiple cross-functional teams to source indirect contract services and negotiate contracts for a plasma protein bio therapeutics firm.
- Selected SharePoint design/integrator consultant for new global IT intranet: $120K savings
- Led cross-functional team in selecting a 3PL provider for CSLB finished product. Savings: $400K
- Selected electric power industry consultant experienced in the Penna. 2011 “Deregulation” Guidelines and alternative energy providers. Two year contract-$20K plus savings achieved
- Negotiated $8700 savings from annual base of $78K for sales literature pallet storage with added opportunities to reduce overall inventory identified in an inventory storage cost analysis
- Developed negotiation strategy for sourcing legal services and provided evaluations of commercial printers
Tasty Baking Company, Philadelphia, PA, 2003 to 2004 Director of Purchasing Strategic and operational sourcing leadership for food ingredients and packaging materials used for a regional consumer products’ manufacturer of “Tastykake” snack foods.
- Reduced supply base (carton/corrugated) to single source and achieved cost savings of $2.4M
- Implemented decision analysis process, supplier meetings, multi-functional team concept and reverse auctions to create positive shift to achieve costs savings/ improve supplier performance.
- Implemented policies/activities to insure ethical conduct and image within the Sourcing Process
E.I. DuPont de Nemours and Company, Wilmington, Delaware, 1998 to 2003 Global Sourcing Commodity Leader/Purchasing Agent – Developed strategic/tactical sourcing activities for all SBU’s (including sites) in the area of consulting, contract labor, uniform rentals, life/safety equipment, HR executive recruiting and security services.
- Annual savings of $8M achieved using on-line reverse auctions/various negotiating techniques
- Contract Labor Commodity Team Leader: $4.5M cost savings achieved
- Created process to improved legal protection/cost containment for acquiring consulting services
- Led contract labor implementation using Ariba web sourcing system: Six Sigma savings-$40K
Primestar Partners, Bala Cynwyd, PA and Denver, CO, 1996 to 1998. Director, Procurement
- Created and managed strategic/tactical sourcing plans for equipment, services, capital construction and materials for a national satellite TV provider.
- Annualized procurement team’s cost savings across Marketing, IT, Engineering and HR: $3M
- Led capital expansion sourcing of Broadcast control room (61 to 450 channels) successfully.
- Successfully designed/implemented/operated a new value adding procurement department.
- Led sourcing development/roll-out of a unique TV remote control unit (under budget and on schedule.
Nabisco, Inc., Philadelphia, PA , 1995 to 1996, Purchasing Manager. Led, planned and implemented acquisition process for operating materials, equipment and services at the bakery site. Initiated supply management concepts that reduced total costs through inventory reduction and installed a requisition system for greater management oversight.
- Revitalized Minority/Women Owned Business purchasing program with annual spend of $500K
- Created resource teams: Improved internal customer service on key areas and projects
- Maximized key supplier’s resources to improve costs and to create continuous improvement
- Identified $1.2M cost improvements as a team leader working with McKinsey & Company.
Scott Paper Co, Philadelphia, PA , 1975 to 1994, Supply Management: Program Leader. Provided leadership in the development of state of the art management processes and systems for a world class technician system production facility start-up project in Kentucky (approx.: $245M).
- Reengineered purchasing process to eliminate requirements for on-site purchasing department.
- Created zero supplies/storeroom inventories by leveraging suppliers’ capabilities
- Created Chester, PA Site Supply Management plan resulting in $12M cost savings on $160M spend.
Manager, Marketing Procurement-Consumer Business
- Led, planned, managed and implemented process that ensured identification/acquisition of required Consumer Business marketing and sales materials and services.
- Annual team cost savings $1.5M – $2M.
- Developed “Emerging In-Store Marketing Environment” seminar for Consumer Marketing & Sales.
- Led bartering process to convert $1.3M of obsolete products into $1.1M of television media
- Negotiated retained strategic presence (Baby Wipes’ Hospital Sampling Program): $200K saved
- Led in-house Fulfillment Center’s consumer team to meet field sales requirements
- Managed supply side of new product ventures resulting in on-time and under budget introduction
Procurement Manager: Resource Alignment
- Procurement expert for product dispensing equipment/merchandising display areas for Commercial and Consumer SBU’s. Developed and implemented strategies and aligned internal/external resources.
- Achieved $600K cost savings through professional negotiations for goods/services
- Created/instituted a strategy that resulted in suppliers becoming cost and creatively competitive
- Led the efforts to develop a customized display for a distinctive product line for a major food chain. Delivered within an 8-week window resulting in a $1M sales orders.
Fixture Purchasing Manager
- Lead Procurement resource in the development and acquisition of plastic or metal formed product dispenser. Managed outside manufacturers/external designers to insure timely product availability. Annual cost savings: $250K.
- Led Purchasing, Distribution, Receiving, Production Scheduling, Vital Supply, Inventorying, Stores and Material Handling functions for Baby Wipes product manufactured in clean rooms, under heavy control standards in compliance with FDA require-ments. Annual Plant Purchase: $35M and Warehouse Products: $15M.
- Participated in five major new product start-ups in a six-year period
- Aggressive negotiations and new sourcing identification led to declining brand costs.
- Instituted direct customer shipment program. Results: $500K cost savings.
- Widener University, Masters of Business Administration, Finance & Management
- University of Dayton, Bachelor of Technology, Electrical Engineering Technology
- Temple University Technical Institute, Associate in Technology, Electrical/Electronic
- Lean “Kaizen Event” Training in 11/2009
- Six Sigma Green Belt-Certified
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM): National Association of Purchasing Management
- Ariba Reverse Auction process, SAP, Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel
- Instructor in the Goldman Sachs 10K Small Businesses Initiative at Community College of Philadelphia
- St. Joseph’s University Advisory Council for the College of Professional and Liberal Studies
- Adjunct Professor at Saint Joseph’s University: Supply Management Distance (On-Line) Learning
- Institute of Supply Management-Philadelphia (Past Board of Director)
- Former Board member and now “Advisor” of “The Business Center” (small business incubator and training center)
- West Philadelphia Alliance for Children (WePAC)-VP Board of Directors
- National Black MBA Association (Past Community Relations Committee: Co-Chairperson)
- Former Chairman of Board for Kent Sussex Industries (a Delaware sheltered workshop for the disabled)