Atlanta, GA – June 27 – July 1
MDC Systems® was strongly represented at the 2015 ASHRAE Annual Conference in the Society’s hometown of Atlanta, Ga. The Conference took place June 27-July 1 at the Atlanta Hilton. The Conference Technical Program focused on the design, construction and operation of high performance buildings, refrigeration and the annual Research Summit Laboratories, refrigeration, fundamentals, applications, systems and equipment round out the program.
E. Mitchell Swann, PE, Principal of MDC Systems®, presented two programs:
(1) If You Build It, Will They Come? The Next Design-Build Guide , and
(2) ASHRAE College of Fellows Debate: “Attorneys Will Love BIM!” Pro/Con?
Ms. Marcella Stokes, Member, US General Services Administration, (and former MDC Systems® employee as a co-op student) also spoke about Design Build and the GSA as part of the distingished “If You Build It, Will They Come? The Next Design-Build Guide” panel.
See below for detailed information about MDC’s involvement in the 2015 ASHRAE Annual Conference.
Program 1: SEMINAR #36 – “If You Build It, Will They Come? The Next Design-Build Guide”
Tuesday, 30 June 2015 – 8 AM – 9:30 AM
Sponsored by: Technical Committee (TC) 1.07 Business, Management & General Legal Education & TC 7.02 HVAC&R Contractors and Design Build Firms
Chair and Presenter: E. Mitchell Swann, P.E., Member, MDC Systems, Paoli, PA
TC 1.7 issued the Survival Guide for Design-Build in 2004. (I was co-author) It was ahead of its time as D|B had not exploded in the ASHRAE universe yet. Design-Build has been around for as long as building has been around, but recently Design-Build delivery has spread like wildfire! The problem with wildfires is that you sometimes can get caught up in the heat of the moment and burned before you know it. This rapid spread has prompted TC 1.7 and 7.2 to update the Guide for today’s brave new world. This Seminar will present an overview of the current guide; highlights of hot issues for the next edition and a chance to air your questions and concerns EARLY for the next edition!
1. The Design-Build Survival Guide: What’s in It for You? – E. Mitchell Swann, P.E., Member, MDC Systems, Paoli, PA
2. The Legal Mysteries of Design-Build – Paul E. Sperry, Carlock, Copeland & Stair LLP, Charleston, SC
3. Design Build and the GSA – Marcella Stokes, Member, US General Services Administration, Region 4, Atlanta, GA
Program 2: SEMINAR #51 ASHRAE College of Fellows Debate: “Attorneys Will Love BIM!” Pro/Con?
Tuesday June 30, 2015 1:30 PM-3:00 PM
Sponsor: Conferences and Expositions Committee, College of Fellows, TC 1.07 Business, Management & General Legal Education
Chair: Larry Spielvogel, P.E., Fellow Life Member, Consulting Engineer, Bala Cynwyd, PA
The complex procurement method including design, construction and operation of buildings holds the potential for conflicts between a project’s technical program and commercial objectives of the players. BIM is recognized and promoted as perhaps the best solution to many of these problems.
But is it?
Is it the answer to known failures in the procurement process or is it an oversimplified method of creating a mathematical computerized model of expectations and hopes?
Will the correct use of BIM deliver the owner’s expectation of building performance at completion, or will it be a fertile ground for litigation based on failure?
1. Team A Speaker 1: Don Beaty, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, DLB Associates, Eatontown, NJ
2. Team A Speaker 2: James K. Bidgood Jr., Smith, Currie & Hancock LLP, Atlanta, GA
3. Team A Speaker 3: Dennis Knight, P.E., BEMP, Member, Whole Building Systems, LLC, Charleston, SC
4. Team B Speaker 1: Richard Rooley, FREng, OPMP, Presidential Fellow Life Member, Rooley Consultants, Bucks, United Kingdom
5. Team B Speaker 2: E. Mitchell Swann, P.E., Member, MDC Systems, Paoli, PA
6. Team B Speaker 3: David Branson, P.E., Member, Compliance Services Group, Lubbock, TX