Building Information Modeling (BIM):
Boon or Bane?
By E. Mitchell Swann, PE
MDCSystems® has recently become aware of a number of large projects exhibiting major problems despite the ‘spectacular’ abilities of Building Information Modeling (BIM) and other project technologies. Some of these projects have been highlighted in recent industry publications and legal filings. These issues often fall into several common areas and are summarized below.
- Implementation of the Building Information Modeling (BIM) technology
- Development of the base BIM model
- Failure to maintain the BIM model as work progresses
- The “irrational exuberance” of ‘computer-world’ accuracy (aka “false precision”)
- Insufficient data development (thin content or ‘dumb light’ models)
- Real to virtual drift – failure to as-built the model (reduces the effectiveness of the BIM model for life cycle asset management)
Any of the above cited areas can result in unexpected (and under budgeted) changes in the project resulting in a cascade of further uncoordinated changes in the field impacting construction efficiency, time and quality and ultimately cost in both “bricks and mortar” and operations (and sometimes hair or sleep).
Meet the Expert: Michelle Delehanty, PE, PMP
MDCSystems® Consulting Engineer
Michelle is a newcomer to the MDCSystems® team, bringing with her over a decade of experience in construction management, engineering, and operations across a variety of industries, primarily healthcare and energy. She has practical knowledge in the areas of project controls, risk management, cost analysis, civil engineering, as well as construction scope, cost, and schedule management.
Since joining the MDC® team, Michelle has provided expertise to clients for claims analysis in the following areas:
– Construction Standard of Care
– Change Order Cost Evaluations
– Schedule Investigation and Delay Assessment In addition to the services listed above, Michelle also provides MDC® clients with:
– Project Management Oversight / Support for complex or small project
– Capital Project Budget and Schedule Planning
– Construction Project Risk Assessment
Click here for a detailed look at Michelle’s professional resume, accomplishments and contact information.